Monday, September 29, 2008

Aunties, uncles???? Be careful with your designations...

Malaysians can be blinded when it comes to designation. Through experiences which I dare say can be embarrassing to the person the designation is shot towards. Example, I was called 'auntie' by people who are very much older, little older, a little younger or of same age. Shouldn't we just asked, " Excuse me, may I know your name please?" And from there just acknowledge the person using her/his name or surname. That simple. If you do not know her/him just acknowledge her as "Madam" or him as "Sir" or "Mr."

It would be wonderful for sales personnels not to call future customers as "aunties" or "uncles" for you are never related. I noticed that we never call foreigners as "aunties" and "uncles"....Why, may I ask? Well, shouldn't we practice doing this to locals? I taught my son to acknowledge the hotel guests where he is working as "Sir", "Madam" or if he knows them, by their surnames. I assure you many would appreciate that. The graph of your sales may even shoot upwards.

A friend of mine had her youngest boy during her late 40s. While we were browsing around a supermarket one fine day, a sales person approached her. She was holding on to her 5 year old son's hand. To my amusement, this guy went, "Auntie, how about buying this educational toy for your grandson?" with a smooth smile on his face. The smile went off when he got a rude reply. It was "Look I am not his grandmother. I am his mother. Do I look that old? I did want to look at your products but because of your acknowledgment, I decided not to purchase any item from you. Please do be careful next time". She walked of unhappily.


I know of a man who is near 70 but still very active. Someone called him "uncle" and he just turned round and told that person, "Don't call me "uncle" as I am NOT your uncle. Call me "Sir" or "Mr". He looked very displeasured from his facial expression and the tone of his voice.

I know to many it is a normal thing. But believe me, I am sure most people preferred not to be called "aunties" and "uncles" unless related. Some Chinese would follow their kids calling neighbours as such. Not very amusing though. We should be addressing each other by name since we are neighbours.

I do not call people such unless they call me the same. There was one day at the market, this lady who is a fishmonger called me 'auntie". "Sweet", I said in my head. My next step was to call her the same back. One point for me as I can see from her face that she wasn't very glad. Hahaha anyway, she looks older so I was just being 'polite' like her. My way of getting back.....sarcastically well done.

5 comments:

Constance Chan said...

some really no manners. i got one aunty desperate to sell me Nestle Hi Calcium milk, after unsuccessful attempt told me that my face got so much pigmentation then say if drink the milk can get rid of it. i tell u she sounded too desperate even if i have pigmentation, her words like pien gina...heheheh

Unknown said...

Well, Constance, so she was trying to say rubbish to get u to buy the milk. I would have told her that possibly hers natural from the two milk containers (if u get what I mean) would do a better job.....

Umbrella Rec said...

I heard about this from Adeline. Her boss called a German on the phone "Brother, .....". The German just replied "I am not your brother". I find this amusing especially when it happens to a boss you dislike...haha :)

Anonymous said...

Agreed - one should always address strangers as Sir, Miss, Madam, Mister....not Auntie, Uncle, Grandpa, Brudder...

Gallivanter
http://www.danielfranklingomez.com

K3ViN said...

mostly i will say Mr. or Miss or mostly i will try 2 name lor