Sunday, November 2, 2008

A bad experience at a Buddhist Temple


On a fine Friday morning (31st Oct. 2008), Frankie drove me to the Reclining Buddha Temple at Burma Lane, Pulau Tikus after our marketing at Chowrasta Market. It was supposed to be a bright day for me but the next scene spoiled my mood for the day. You may be wondering what is a Catholic doing in a Buddhist Temple...Well for you information, I was there on behalf of my dad who wanted so much to offer a Kathina robe as to the Buddhist this is an auspicious thing to do. He wanted to do this so that my deceased grandparents will receive merits if so happens that they are born in the wrong realm.

Being a Roman Catholic and having little knowledge of what I should be doing, I approached a thin, dark lady who was in thick make-up. Her big eyes with eye-liner drawn made her look starry and scary as she was not smiling. Mind you, it took much courage to approach such a person not knowing what comes next. Hahaha. Wished I had secretly taken a photo of her. But you can always see her at the counter if you go to this temple. Taking a big inhale, I walked to her asking about how to purchase the robe and details of what I should do with it.

I was perturbed at the way she answered me. She gestured me to read what was written on the notice which was pasted below a platform where the robes were placed. Again I should heve taken a shot of the notice. I turned my head down and read it. Stated was, "KATHINA ROBES FOR OFFERING ON 2ND NOV. 2008". But I need more than that. I needed to know:-

1) How to purchase it since she was not even at the counter?

2) What should I do with it when I had it in my hands? Open it? Take it home? Or put it somewhere where I fancied?

3) Should I be there to offer it to the monks?

4) Time of the ceremony...yes, what about the time?

Am I being unreasonable by asking? Anyway, she just went about her business before even settling my doubts. What unfriendliness !!!! Silly me was tagging along with her as I was eager to finish my duty of the day for my dad. I repeated the questions but she may have thought that I am retarded as she looked towards me like an annoyed mother. COME ON... what is this??? I was just seeking simple assistance. Moreover the robes are not FOC. It cost RM100 a piece. Can you imagine that she turned away from me??

The inside of me began to boil..In Buddhism, being able to sense that one is fuming means I am having mindfulness....Yaaaahooooo and whoopeee for what a Catholic can do. I kept my cool of course. I turned to my head to the back and saw that the other lady was finally free from her phone call. So I walked towards the counter with irritation and agitation. She gave me a smile. That smile calmed me down. As I was telling myself that if I get the same treatment again, I would definitely walked out and would probably go over to the Burmese Buddhist Temple opposite for the occasion. Taking a good breath, I sarcastically went,"Excuse me, I need assistance as I am a non-Buddhist. I am acting on behalf of my father to purchase a robe for the Kathina," looking straight at the lady with a smile.

She was most gracious and I was tended to promptly with my questions. The thin lady walked back to the counter defending herself that she had directed me to read the notice. I turned round and told her that the information I need was not there.

Not wanting to delay my time as Frankie walked in, I went over to the other side of the counter to pay for the robe. Then only was I told that I should go pray to Lord Buddha. Humbly I kneeled in respect of the Great Teacher. Offer the robe and left it on the platform as instructed to be collected later on. I am a humble Catholic and I respected all the famous teachers.

What troubled me was that in my opinion, those who are put in the front office should be more friendly and helpful. It may be in temples, churches, hospitals, institutions,etc. As long as one is put in-charge of the main counter, they should be ready to answer questions with a warm smile. Pleasantness and friendliness represents the place you are helping and working for. Next year I am running to the Burmese Temple opposite for this Kathina celebration.

2 comments:

Constance Chan said...

it must be frustrating for you. i'd be as irritated too.

i love to go to this temple. since young, mom brings us there to pay respects to our late grandmother.

siewSiANlang said...

the lady you meet is not a trained customers relation officer,the qualified one happened to be on leave that day,and she is just a volunteer replacement.Don't give up,consult those with friendly face next time.