Thursday, May 26, 2011

Reclining Buddha Temple at Burma Lane, Pulau Tikus, Penang

This morning we went to The Reclining Buddha Temple for my mom's second death anniversary prayer. My parents were staunch Buddhist so I have to carry out the rites due to filial piety. My husband went to invite the monks for the recitation. After that I gave them an ang pow each. They walked out without knowing that I was behind one of them. To my surprised he opened it and he didn't look happy about the content of RM5. He looked at me in a very unhappy manner. Then the man mending the temple with a cap who followed them quickly told me that I was supposed to put RM20 for each monk. I 'paid' the difference of RM30. I was wondering what had happened to Buddha's teaching? Are they not supposed to demand a certain amount. From what I know was that they should not even accept the ang pow if they are true in their Dhamma. Anyway, I paid as demanded but it is kamma that will follow them. This will be the last time I will engage the greedy monks.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Hi Nancy, regret read about your mom. May she rest in peace.
But yes, I too am surprised re the monks not happy with your donation.
I guess maybe today's Rgt 5 is not much. But still, you're right...they should not have accepted.
Anyway, there'll always be those that veer off the right choosen path sometimes.

I enjoyed read about your Penang...as I love Penang, the food as well the charming women of Penang and their lovely Hokkien.
You have a pleasant week, and keep a song in your heart.
Best regards.
Lee.